Healthy Living Made Simple
by Joyce Dillon
“Why just survive as you age when you can thrive?
The human body is a beautiful, intricate system that functions at its best when we consciously care for each part of the whole: our physical, mental, emotional and spiritual self. If we neglect even just one seemingly small part of our body’s system, our whole body tends to not function at its highest potential. So, to enjoy a long, healthy and vibrant life, I suggest you develop and maintain those four key areas by incorporating these 10 tips.
- Love yourself – Aging well begins and ends with love. Practice giving and receiving love; it will change your life. Embracing and sharing love is the key to living well and maintaining a youthful spirit.
- Keep learning – Stay informed about current issues, technology and health trends. Be open and willing to meet new people. Travel to unknown destinations. Read and learn something new each day. Learning keeps your brain active and sharp.
- Laugh – Laughter really is great medicine because it’s a natural stress reducer. Laughing releases chemicals in our bodies that can drive away pain and fear, two emotions usually associated with aging, so laugh often. If you have to, buy a laugh: Rent a movie.
- Exercise – Keep your feet moving daily. Impaired mobility and balance are top aging concerns, for good reason. Daily exercise and foot care are extremely important because your feet make movement possible. Benefits of regular exercise include less depression, increased alertness, clearer thinking, improved ability to handle stress, and enjoyment of a positive mood. Start now, get moving, dance and kick up your heels.
- Eat well and healthy – Learn about antioxidants, phytonutrients and essential fatty acids; consume them every day. Prepare or buy savory food for yourself, and enjoy. Make mealtime a pleasure. Avoid eating in front of the TV while you watch stressful news.”
Read the entire article for tips 6-10 as well as advice for “a day in the life of a healthy aging individual”
Joyce Dillon, RN, MN, BCC, is the founder of Joyce Dillon Inc. She is a certified life and wellness coach, holistic nurse, author and intuitive painter.