Jeep ride and guardian angels

This video shows the beautiful serene drive I took in my 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport on the way to my cabin in Glen Haven yesterday.  The water sloshing sound is from the container of water I transport on every trip, as I don’t have running water on the property.

Jeep ride
Cabin floor, Photo by slc

It was a balmy 65 degrees in Glen Haven and a beautiful day to work outside.  While at the property I raked up pine needles and cones to help with fire mitigation.  I also continued cleaning and oiling the 1938 wooden cabin floor.  All the while my small dog, Goldi, watched.

We left the property at about 3:15 p.m. so I could watch the second half of the Denver Bronco game.  The Jeep started fine and I drove the 15 minutes to Drake where I met up with the pilot car which takes everyone in line through the canyon construction zone.  The pilot car was not there yet so I turned off the Jeep’s engine.

When the pilot car came to lead us down the canyon, I turned the key in the ignition.  It started but then quit.  I tried again.  Same thing.  The Jeep would not stay running.

Traffic was routed around me as I kept trying to keep the Jeep running with no luck.  Normally, the intersection I was in is pretty deserted but with the construction, it was a hub of activity.  Toby, the flagger at the stop, asked how he could help.  I told him I didn’t know as I needed to call AAA Roadside Assistance but I had no cell service in the canyon.  He said he didn’t either.  He tried to jump my car with his personal vehicle hoping the jump would keep the Jeep running.  No luck.  He saved the day though by calling his supervisor Reba Smith who came to my rescue.

Reba took me in her work truck to the nearby fire station where she could get cell service.  I used her phone to call AAA and report that I needed the Jeep towed from Drake to Loveland.  My membership service would only provide a free tow for the first seven miles but it was 17 miles to my home; again, Reba rescued me.  She transferred the roadside assistance to her membership number.  She had full service coverage so my tow would be free.  The tow truck would be on site in about an hour.

Reba drove me back to the Jeep where I waited with Goldi.  Luckily I brought food for her and of course I had water, so she was happy.  I was in a well-lit area with lots of helpful people watching over me.

Jeep ride
“Mrs. Bob” loading Jeep, Photo by slc

But then I became a little nervous thinking about riding in a tow truck to my home alongside a male driver I did not know.  No worries.  The tow truck driver ended up being “Mrs. Bob” from Bob’s Towing.  It was definitely my lucky day and my guardian angels had all shown up.  Mrs. Bob loaded up my Jeep and I loaded up Goldi.  We got in the loud tow truck but not until I thanked Toby for his help with a handshake and a hug.  As we waited in line with the other vehicles waiting for the pilot car, Reba drove up.  She wanted to make sure everything was alright and to wish me well.  What a sweetheart!  I will be sending her boss a letter of gratitude.

The Jeep, Goldi and I arrived safely home at about 6:45 p.m., about 2-1/2 hours after we left the cabin.  The trip should have taken about 50 minutes.  I said goodbye to Mrs. Bob with a handshake and a hug.  I was relieved to be home safely from the Jeep ride and thankful for the guardian angels God sent my way.  Thank you Toby, Reba and Mrs. Bob!

Note:  I tried to start the Jeep again this morning.  It still would not stay running.  I called AAA again and a tow truck took it to Brakes Plus within seven miles of my home.  The gentlemen at Brakes Plus have yet to find anything wrong with it.  It started just fine for them.  Go figure.  Another guardian angel?

2 thoughts on “Jeep ride and guardian angels

I'd love to know your thoughts...please leave comment

%d bloggers like this: